Monday, July 20, 2009

Fiesta de Cumpleaños-Paraguayan/American Style Birthday Party

Paraguayans + Americans + A birthday= A really good time


We had a birthday party for Angelic at my house. It was a really good time. A few days before, I passed around a sheet asking people to sign up to bring something to the party. I provided the house, the decorations and the chicken. We started out the evening with singing Happy Birthday to Angelic in 3 languages. I think the Paraguayans especially liked the English version, because even a week after the party, I overheard my little niece singing it. Then everyone stood around drinking and conversing.


We moved on to dinner, cutting of the cake (which true to Paraguayan tradition, the Birthday girl cut), and then we drank and danced the night away. It was like a Paraguayan/American hybrid style birthday party, which makes for a great party. It was a great blend of Americans and Paraguayans of all ages.


Paraguayans drink in groups. Usually they fill one glass and pass it around. Americans, being the individualists and germophobes we are, give everyone their own glass. So it must have been weird for the Paraguayans to receive their own glass full of the beverage of their choice. I think some of them secretly liked it though.


My camera broke, and my brother, Agusto, had taken it into the city to be fixed. He didn’t arrive with it until late in the party, but I did manage to snag a few pics...












No comments:

Post a Comment